About Me

My photo
Blessed to have played all of the top 100 courses in Canada (SCOREGolf 2016). Completed Oct 7, 2018, at the age of 26. 98/100 played on SCOREGolf 2018, 2020 and 2022 lists. Continuing to chase top 100 contenders, and other greats around the world.

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Tobiano


Now ranked the 10th best golf course in Canada, Tobiano has received a lot of attention since bursting onto the stage in 2008, being named the best new course in Canada by both Scoregolf and Golf Digest. The Thomas McBroom course is perched atop a cliff overlooking Kamloops Lake, in what has to be one of the great natural settings for a golf course.

On my 2009 road trip from Edmonton to Vancouver (when I first played Jasper Park Lodge), I stopped by Tobiano to try and get a round in. However, I had yet to turn 19, and wasn't allowed on the course alone due to golf cart liabilities. I wondered around as much as I could, and took a few pictures of what was the most breathtaking place I had seen at the time. I promised myself to return as soon as possible to see what this place really had to offer. It was at the top of my MUST play list for 3 years, until finally, this past August, I was able to make the stop.

As i hit balls on the range, a gentleman on staff stopped by to pick up a few things, and share a little wisdom about the course. His words: "the first hole is quite difficult. it is the easiest hole". I figured sure, it might be tough, but I've seen a few of the hardest courses in America.. there's no way Tobiano could be that difficult. I should have believed him.

576 yd first hole at Tobiano

The first hole is a beautiful par 5, with a sloping fairway which helps shorten it a little. It is surprisingly narrow, considering how penal the waste areas are. Not an unfair hole, just requires you to focus from the get go. Hole #2 is much the same. A potentially driveable par 4 which presents a birdie opportunity, but consequences will follow careless shots. Deep greenside bunkers protect a tricky green. Like the first, it is difficult, but rewards good shots. The first 2 holes at Tobiano are some of my favoriate starting holes anywhere.

#3 is a short-ish par 3 to a small green, guarded by a steep bank of tall rough infront of the green. It is pretty simple with no tricks, just a nice hole. A gentle backstop on the rear of the green allows players who end up in the trouble short of the green to land their pitch softly and try to salvage a par. Again, a difficult enough hole that will reward good shots.

The 4th is a bunkerless par 4, which is likely the least photogenic on the course. Despite this, it is still a pretty good hole, thanks to a hilly fairway, and collection areas short of the green. Not bad, but seemingly 'unTobianolike'.

Hole #5 is a long par 4 that plays back into the wind (at least it did when I played). It runs through a tunnel-like dune area to a sheltered 2-tiered green. It is another difficult hole which will reward a piercing drive and well-struck approach (see a pattern?).

Approach to the long par 4 fifth

The sixth is one of many holes which requires about a 200 yd carry over wasteland on the tee shot. An uphill approach leaves much of the green blind. If not for the uphill/blind aspect, it is probably one of the easier holes on the front 9 (which doesn't necessarily mean it is an easy hole).

#7 is an awesome par 3 of about 200 yds, entirely over a gully. In ways, it reminded me of the famous 'cliffhanger' hole at Greywolf. The green has little depth, but plenty of width, placing a premium on controlling your distance.. something that can be hard to do if you let yourself think about the 200 yd carry required. I don't think it was quite as good as Greywolf's 6th hole, but it was so similar that I couldn't help but love it.


Tee at the par 3 seventh

Hole 8 is another long par 5 that can play shorter if the slope is utilized. As many others, it too has a 200+ yd carry off the tee to reach the fairway. The second shot plays noticeable downhill to a stunning vista. Given the slope of the fairway, the lay up tends to roll off to the right.

The slope of the 8th fairway, looking back

The approach plays to a reasonably small green, protected by large bunkers on either side. The green appears to hang out over Kamloops Lake. Just an all around great hole.

In contrast, I wasn't particularly a fan of the 9th. Although its a pretty hole, its just plain out not fun. A 400 yd par 4 straight up hill, to a green that isn't really there. The first 15 ft of the green run back down the hill.. I learned that hard way. After splitting the fairway with my drive, I hit what I thought to be a decent approach. Only to watch it roll back 80 yds. I hit what I thought was a good pitch. Only to watch it roll back to my feet. I actually did this twice. I finally got my fifth shot on the green and made a good double-bogey save, if there can be one. This was the only hole on the course which I didn't feel as though good shots were rewarded. Perhaps my impression of this hole was slightly influenced by my experience on it.

The 10th is similar to the 9th; straight up the hill. The greatest difference is that it is a par 5, and the false front is less severe. My approach on this hole only ran back about 20 yds and I was able to save par.

#11 is an interesting (some might say 'gimmicky') par 4. Despite my perils, I quite enjoyed it. A mid-length par 4 with bunkers partially hidden down the right, and more open fairway to the left than is visible from the tee. The approach plays over a large depression which serves as another false front. Having learned my lesson, I easily carried the false front, finishing just off the green, slightly shortsided. My chip died perfectly in the fringe and barely trickled on the green.. only to roll right off the other side. Did I mention that this course is tough? All I could do was laugh.

Hole 12 is a charming little par 3. I say 'little' only because the tees were moved up from 230 yds to 150 yds. I didn't complain. I thought it played well from the shorter tees, even though the green was large enough that it would probably play well from the tips also.

Tee at the par 3 12th

One of the more interesting holes was #13. An uphill par 5 that sweeps around a large waste area. It has a risk/reward tee shot, daring you to cut off as much of the dogleg left as possible. The approach plays back over the waste area to a large green surrounded by bunkers. All in all, a really good use of the terrain.

The tee shot on the 14th is partially blind, revealing only the direction in which the player should aim. The downhill approach makes the green appear to be hovering on the water. Just stunning. A well contoured green separates the left and right halves, narrowing the target on the second shot. Another hole that rewards well played shots.

#15 is a world class par 3. It is the only hole to run on the lake side of a small residential road. Sitting atop the cliff, it looks directly out on to the lake. The hole itself is pretty good too! A reasonably short hole, it temps the golfer to fire at the left hand side and carry the bunker. In actual fact, the slope on the right of the green will allow a player to run the ball up with just as much success, and little risk.

15th at Tobiano

Although #16 plays away from the water, it is also a spectacular hole. A downhill par 5, which drops so severely that only the green is visible from the tee. Of course, when you tell your friends about the 345 yd drive you hit, or your 230 yd 5-iron approach, you never mention the steep descent and fast fairways. A birdie is a birdie!

The 17th is the last of 5 outstanding par 3's. It might be the best of the bunch. While not quite as scenic as the 15th, it is ever bit as well designed. At about 180 yds, it requires a carry over a waste area much like the 7th. The difference is that #17 is 20 yds shorter with a bit more room for error. The hole blends perfectly into the hillside, and is framed by a number of deep bunkers. It is the last of what might be my favorite 3 hole stretch in B.C.

The near perfect par 3 17th

The last tee is on the hillside above the 17th green. From up above, you have a perfect view of much of the golf course, with the lake in the background. It is quite a sight. The 18th, which seems rather average for Tobiano standards, would be a great finishing hole on most other golf courses. A moderately long par 4, well bunkered down the left. It is not extremely difficult, nor is it easy. It's just a good way to 'cool down' after this amazing round of golf.

Tobiano was the first McBroom golf course I had the opportunity to play, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Good weather, great company, and an excellent round of golf. In the end, a truly memorable day. The course was every bit the test the staff member had warned, and I would pass that warning on to anyone who wants to play. Its a brute. Take it for what it is, laugh off the bad ones and just enjoy the quality of this golf course; its one of a kind.


'Til next time, keep your stick on the ice!

The Golfing Canuck

No comments:

Post a Comment